Thursday, April 4, 2019
Latin Women as Caregivers
It is not uncommon to see an immigrant woman nannying for an affluent white family, especially in my hometown of Jersey City. I really enjoyed reading this work because it broke down the statistics of something that I am witnessing on a day to day basis. This idea that men are the breadwinners is being completely destroyed in this article, because it focuses on the growth of women in the work force. More importantly it talks about the rise in Latina women as caregivers. One of the statements that stood out to me from the reading was "these migrant women are having to leave their family and children to go take care of the children of an affluent white woman". This is something that I never really thought about, but the irony is what struck me. The fact that many mothers have to make the decision to leave their family to care for someone else's just to make a decent living, is sad but it is the reality of the world we live in. I also found it interesting that the article compared the rise in Latino women as caretakers, as well as the decline of black women as caretakers. I figured that maybe it is because they can exploit immigrant women due to the fact that they are more vulnerable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment